Home Remedies To Prevent The Loss Of Tooth Enamel
Tooth enamel is the translucent outer covering of the teeth and it protects them from daily wear and tear of grinding, crunching, biting, and chewing. Once it erodes, the main part of the tooth gets exposed and it can cause sensitivity and pain. This is a big deal and when it is gone it will never grow back.
As a matter of fact, 37% of the children in the USA suffer from enamel erosion. For this reason you must not wait until it is too late to protect your enamel. Try these natural ways of protecting your teeth:
- Soak beans and nuts – Phytic acid is enemy number one of tooth enamel, says Wellness Mama. Nuts and beans have a large concentration of phytic acid which is why, if you can’t resist a handful of protein-packed almonds, it’s recommended to eat them after they’ve been soaked overnight in salt or lemon water and then rinsed and dehydrated in the oven.
- Do nor brush your teeth immediately after eating – rinsing is recommended, but brushing immediately after eating must be avoided. This is so because the acidic foods soften the tooth enamel, thus you better wait for 30 minutes after eating in order to allow enough time for the saliva to neutralize the acid and re-mineralize the teeth. This procedure will protect your teeth against further damage from the acidic foods.
- Sugar-free gum – WebMD suggests chewing sugar-free gum to help the mouth produce more saliva, the body’s natural response for strengthening the teeth with an influx of minerals.
- Use a straw – in this way you can prevent the acid in soda, fruit juices, and flavored waters from splashing around your mouth. This is not the perfect fix and also water is still advocated as the main liquid in your diet, but the straw may help you protect your teeth.
- Rinse – This easy, no-tools tip from WebMD is something everyone should and can adopt. Simply rinse your mouth with water after eating or drinking acidic foods and drinks to wash away the dangerous acids.
- Consume more cheese – according to some reports, cheese can prevent the enamel from eroding, thus consume it more often.
- Coconut oil – Adding an extra dose of healthy fats to your daily diet can protect the teeth from enamel erosion. Wellness Mama recommends coconut oil for this purpose. It is easy to add coconut oil to your diet. Simply add a tablespoon to your morning smoothie or tea and use it in place of butter or olive oil when cooking.