10 Amazing Facts About Eye Colors You Probably Didn’t Know
The power of vision allows us to enjoy this colorful, amazing world. The human eye identifies about 10 million colors! The different eye colors occur because of the pigmentation of the iris and light reflection. Here are some facts that you didn’t know about the different eye colors:
This is a condition where people have two different eye colors. It is a result of lack or excess of melanin in the eyes, and the majority of cases are hereditary.
- The most common eye color? Brown.
Usually a higher melanin concentration in the iris causes the eye color to be brown. There are two shades: dark and light brown. The people with this eye color are known as more attractive and confident.
- Brown eyes contain more melanin than other colors
A dark brown eye color is a direct result of excess melanin in the iris.
- The eye color depends on melanin
The pigment of the iris depends on melanin making a wide range of eye colors – from light brown to black. The other colors like blue, green, red or violet occur because of light reflection, and they don’t exist in the eyes. In that way eye color is something similar to the blueness of the sky.
- People with green eyes have reportedly more enthusiastic
Low amounts of melanin in the iris will cause a lighter shade of brown eye color, which combined with amber gives green eye color.
- Heavy dark brown eyes appear as almost black
A completely dark eye color does not exist – it is only a darker shade of brown.
- Grey eye color is usual among Northern and Eastern Europeans
The grey eye color appears with a dark epithelium at the back of the iris and a clear stroma at the front.
- Hazel eye color is a combination of blue, green and brown
The moderate amount of melanin in the iris gives the brown color.
- The violet eye color appears due to albinism
Albinism is a melanin deficiency issue. In that case, deep blue eyes will appear as violet.
- Red eye color is rare
The lowest amounts of melanin make the eyes appear red in color.
- The amber eye color is due to the yellow pigment in the iris
This kind of color is similar to the hazel one, but they are different.
- Babies have lighter eye color until three years old
- 86% of the population in Scotland and Ireland have either blue or green eyes
As we said, Northern and Eastern Europeans have blue eyes usually. People in Western Asia also have blue eyes. People with blue eyes are supposed to be more energetic.